I WRITE STUFF AND THINGS.
I've been blogging since 1999 and writing in notebooks since I could form semi-complete sentences about what Disney movie I watched that day.
Most of all, I'm interested in all things that connect us as humans - from poetry to technology to dance to food. Here is a hodgepodge of vignettes and posts categorized by topics I generally write about.
I read Books and Poetry.
- Things around the internet - Links to articles I have found interesting lately.
- Poets I am enjoying - Mary Oliver / Vera Pavlova / Jack Gilbert / Carl Phillips / Louise Glück / Michael Ondaatje / Frank O'Hara / CK Williams / Eileen Myles / Frank Lima / Adrienne Rich / Mei-Mei Berssenbrugge / Gary Snyder / Ocean Vuong / Galway Kinnell
Books in 2015:
- Shantaram, Gregory David Roberts
- The Magus, John Fowles
- The Secret Lives of People in Love: Stories, Simon Van Booy
- Eleanor & Park, Rainbow Rowell
- Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Haruki Murakami
- The Ender Quintet, Orson Scott Card (all 5 books!)
- The Rosie Project, Graeme Simsion
- The Rosie Effect: A Novel, Graeme Simsion
- On the Road, Jack Kerouac
- Reinventing Organizations, Frederic Laloux
Books in 2016:
- Seveneves, Neal Stephenson
- The Martian, Andy Weir
- How to Win Friends & Influence People, Dale Carnegie
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, Marie Kondo
- Incidents of Travel in Poetry, Frank Lima
- So Good They Can't Ignore You, Cal Newport
- Ozone Journal, Peter Balakian
- On Writing, Stephen King
- The Art of Stillness, Pico Iyer
- The Year of Magical Thinking, Joan Didion
- The Course of Love, Alain de Botton
- The Argonauts, Maggie Nelson
- Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides
- Letters to Emma Bowlcut, Bill Callahan
- The Days of Abandonment, Elena Ferrante
Books in 2017:
- Big Magic, Elizabeth Gilbert
- Bright Dead Things, Ada Limón
- The Best American Short Stories of 2016, Junot Díaz
- The Rules Do Not Apply: A Memoir, Ariel Levy
- The Story of a Brief Marriage, Anuk Arudpragasm
- Widow Basquiat, Jennifer Clement
- Stories of Your Life and Others, Ted Chiang
- Bird by Bird (reread), Anne Lamott
- A Thousand Mornings, Mary Oliver
- Steve Jobs, Walter Isaacson
- Gods Behaving Badly, Marie Phillips
- A Field Guide to Getting Lost, Rebecca Solnit
- Foundation, Isaac Asimov
- The Last Lecture, Randy Pausch (reread)
- Ready Player One, Ernest Cline
- The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable
- The Obstacle Is the Way, Ryan Holiday
- Where’d You Go, Bernadette?, Marie Semple
- Between The World And Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Brave Enough, Cheryl Strayed
- Lean In, Sheryl Sandberg
- When Breath Becomes Air, Paul Kalanithi
- Hemingway In Love, A.E. Hotchner
- Bluets, Maggie Nelson
- Daring Greatly, Brené Brown
- Here Is New York, E.B. White
- Night Sky With Exit Wounds, Ocean Vuong
- Freedom, Jonathan Franzen
- World War Z, Max Brooks
- Dune, Frank Herbert
- Becoming Wise, Krista Tippett
- Man's Search For Meaning, Viktor Frankl
- Night, Etel Adnan
- All The Light We Cannot See, Anthony Doerr
- Hope In The Dark, Rebecca Solnit
- A Little Life, Hanya Yanagihara
- Do Not Say We Have Nothing, Madeleine Thien
- The Three-Body Problem, Liu Cixin
- How to Love, Thich Nhat Hanh
- When Things Fall Apart,Pema Chödrön
- Catching the Big Fish, David Lynch
I really love Food.
- Rose's Secret NYC Guide - I made a list of NYC restaurants I have dined at since moving here in February 2014. Includes one-line-ish thoughts on the restaurants. Color-coded by borough, organized by cuisine, alphabetized.
- Foodspotting - Don't have time to read the latest food blogs? I'll update you on the new hot restaurants in NYC.
- Food blog entries (on blog) - Sometimes (many times) I end up setting off the smoke detector in my building when I try to cook. But sometimes I experiment with recipes anyways.
- Yelp - What? An Asian girl who writes reviews on Yelp? Such a rare animal sighting.